I love having games available in the classroom. Students learn so many skills when they play strategy games, board games and simulations. They are perfect for struggling learners because students are using their senses and higher level thinking skills. It's a wonderful way to present concepts and address differentiation in the classroom. Stronger students can even peer tutor.
1. By playing games, students learn and practice math skills. Students are able to demonstrate their knowledge and understanding of the concepts.
2. By playing games, students learn life and social skills. They can learn critical thinking, teamwork, to cooperate with others, sportsmanship, and communication.
3. By playing games, students are more apt to retain the information. Students not only learn math concepts, they learn skills in reading, following directions, and vocabulary.
4. Games are motivating! Students don't even realize they are learning when they play games.
5. Games are fun for all ages. Many games are still fun to play no matter how old you are!
Here are a few math games that have a spring theme. These are perfect for math stations:
1. Ice Cream Scoops - Just write numbers on cards. Students will take turns turning over a card and subtract it from 99. Then, continue subtracting from each difference. Write smaller numbers on the cards for easier problems.
2. Double Bee's - This is a fun game with multi-steps. Students will roll the dice. (You can use blank dice to add numbers 4-9.) Multiply the two numbers. Add the two numbers and then add those totals. Find the answers on the bee hive.
3. Flower Power and Sweet Treats - You can write your own problems for these games. Make sure to laminate all of these so you can use them over and over. Students get a different experience every time they play. Use erasable markers so you can just erase the problems and write new ones.
4. Roll and Cover and Catch the Bug - I love using themes for games. You can incorporate games into all curriculum areas. Catch the Bug involves working with coordinates and the flower themed Roll and Cover is also played with dice.
You can find all of these games in one product. Or, you can purchase a year of themes in one bundle. And, they are discounted just for this linky! Just click on the images below.