Why Project Based Learning?
- A real-life problem or challenge is addressed
- 21st Century Skills are implemented
- Core skills are taught in a multi-faceted way which result in increased retention
- There are opportunities for differentiation
- Technology allows for analyzing information and to create and share original content that would otherwise be difficult to accomplish
- It's a collaborative approach to learning
- Project Based Learning is student centered
- Students have voice and choice in their own learning
1. EnvironmentWith complex environmental issues that face us today, students have the opportunity to dig deep and make a difference in their community environment. Students play an active role in their learning about science and bring in other disciplines during the project. These units include research, engaging activities, conversations with experts, and technology. With these pbl units, they learn what they can do to play an important part in saving our earth. They are perfect for Earth Day!
2. Endangered Species
Students study the natural habitat of different endangered species to learn what is beneficial and dangerous for their existence. Through research and learning from experts, students learn to be more conscious of what they can do to protect their habitat. These units contain STEM activities, technology, opinion writing, and research.
Project based learning involves solving a real-world problem or challenge. These economic-challenging project based learning units enable students to become entrepreneurs as they open their very own businesses. Students learn what's involved in opening a business, creating a business plan, interviewing business owners, research, surveys, and more. Students stay within their budget in purchasing inventory and share their stores with classmates and families. Some classes have raised money to purchase items for their school.
To prepare your students for summer travel or camp, try these fun units. Students can plan a family vacation to anywhere in the US. They're in charge of calculating expenses, sight-seeing, and entertainment on the trip. Open a Summer Camp unit involves growth mindset activities, outdoor games, crafts, and even designing a brochure. It is filled with cooperative learning activities.