Here's a video to help explain Project Based Learning.
Give your students the challenge of opening an ice cream shop. This project can be done individually or as a group. I love having the students to work in collaborative groups.
Share more websites about ice cream shops that are familiar to your students.
- Visit a local ice cream shop or have a local owner to visit your class. Students can even visit their favorite shop to interview the owner or manager. We love Amy's Ice Cream. She has been an Austin icon for years.
- I designed a menu for the students so they have an idea in creating their own. Visit websites to get more ideas. Have the students write word problems from the menu.
- Give your students a budget in ordering supplies for their shop. You can use a spreadsheet or printables. Students can practice taking orders, too.
- Invite classes or parents to come for a tasting. Students can create their own ice cream flavor. They can bring in their own toppings or you can purchase them yourself.
- I use basic ice cream recipes so the students can add their creative ideas.
- Students learn about promoting their shops through social media, logos, slogans, jingles, videos and more.
- And, nothing's more fun than playing a Build Your Own Sundae game.